Herbaltini Herbal Tincture Preparation Instructions
- Pour your Herbaltini Herbal Blend into a 32 ounce (or larger) glass jar.
Fill the jar with vodka, rum, or brandy, all the way up to the neck of the jar. 80-100 proof alcohol is recommended and a 1-liter bottle should suffice. DO NOT use industrial alcohol, methyl alcohol, wood alcohol, or rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol).
Non-Alcoholic: Your Herbaltini Tincture can be made with pure vegetable glycerine, apple cider vinegar, or a combination of the two. The instructions are the same as listed here, but you must let your Herbaltini sit for at least 4 weeks, instead of 2. (see below for non-alcoholic notes)
- Store your jar away from light by placing the jar inside a cabinet or inside a paper bag. The herbs will soak up some of the vodka over the next few days, so check your jar, you may need to add more vodka to keep the herbs completely covered. Gently shake the jar every day or two, for the first week.
- Your tincture will be ready in as little as 2 weeks. Waiting 4 weeks will make an even stronger infusion. Your herbs will continue to release their medicinal properties for up to 6 months. You may now start to take a teaspoon dose at this point. Add a little more vodka to the jar to maintain the liquid levels if you are not planning on completely straining the mixture just yet.
- When itís time to strain your Herbaltini, you will need a strainer or colander, a cheesecloth (or similar), a bowl to strain the liquid into and a jar to store your tincture in. You may use your Herbaltini jar to store your tincture (in a dark place) or you may want to use your jar to brew another tincture.
- Align the strainer over the bowl and lay the cheesecloth over the strainer. Carefully open your Herbaltini jar and pour the entire contents into the cheesecloth. When the liquid drips slowly, pick up the cheesecloth, wrap it up with the herbs, and squeeze it into the strainer until there are no more drips.
- Donít discard your herbs just yet! You may use them one more time. To do so, just put them back in the Herbaltini jar and go back up to step 2. This time however, you should let the herbs steep in the vodka for at least 4 weeks.
Now take your bowl of strained tincture and pour it into a storage jar. Dark glass is preferable for storage, but if donít have one, just keep your jar in a cabinet or in a paper bag. If your tincture is stored in a cool, dark place, and in a tightly closed container, it should stay potent for at least 3 years, some experts say it will last indefinitely.
Options to avoid the alcohol
If you want to use the best solvent, but don't want to ingest alcohol, place your dosage into boiling water or tea, remove from the stove and let it sit for 5 minutes or so: The alcohol will evaporate rapidly, and you will be left with only the herbal constituents that you have extracted.
Prepare your Herbaltini with pure Vegetable Glycerin
Pros: Alcohol-free & great for kids because of it's sweet taste
Shelf life: 3-5 years
Cons: Less potent than alcohol-based tinctures, but better than water.
Prepare your Herbaltini with Apple Cider Vinegar
Pros: Alcohol-free & the vinegar has some great health-promoting benefits of it's own.
Shelf life: 6 months, should be refrigerated